Gangs leave Welwyn Garden City shopping parade
GANGS of youths that loitered at a parade of shops have all but disappeared, according to workers.
Walking through the Woodhall Parade, on Cole Green Lane, in WGC, has often been quite an intimidating experience for residents and shoppers, with large groups of youngsters hanging around outside.
Workers and store owners have also made reference to trouble and a loss of trade in the past.
But it has now improved, thanks to what many believe is extra policing.
Carol Blackman, who works in takeaway A.Burridge fisheries, said: “It’s much quieter than before.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s been a lot of community officers [PCSOs] recently and I think they helped move them on.
“Business has improved slightly as well, I don’t think people wanted to come here at times because of the number of kids outside, especially elderly people.”
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
Nikki Isaacs at Vintage Rockz hairdressers agreed.
“I think it’s calmed down a lot, when I used to walk to the cashpoint it was quite scary at times if there was enough of them, but lately it’s been ok.
“Whenever I’ve been around the other end of the parade it’s been very quiet.”
Nick Evans, who works for Little Orchard Nurseries, said: “There’s no trouble at all now. We never had any problems here anyway, but one shop, which has changed owners used to.
“I don’t know where they have all been moved to.”