Gallery: WHT competition winner opens new junior gym in Hatfield
A NEW gym designed for young people has been officially opened by WHT competition winner Madeline MacDonald. The 14-year-old Stanborough School pupil won a Young Timers competition in January to design a logo for the junior gym at Hatfield Leisure Centre
A NEW gym designed for young people has been officially opened by WHT competition winner Madeline MacDonald.
The 14-year-old Stanborough School pupil won a Young Timers competition in January to design a logo for the junior gym at Hatfield Leisure Centre on Travellers Lane.
Her design, Gym 4 Juniors, was selected for its "simplicity, and fitting in with the rest of Hatfield Leisure Centre's colours and schemes".
Funded by Welwyn Hatfield Council and managed by Finesse Leisure, the gym is the result of a consultation between Finesse and students at Sir Frederic Osborn School, who gave their ideas on what equipment they would like in a gym designed specifically for them.
You may also want to watch:
The facility for eight to 14-year-olds includes Nintendo Wii and Wii Fits, rowing machines, treadmills with personal televisions, a "Wushu" martial arts system and "Vew-du" balance boards.
Melanie Hoskin, from Finesse Leisure, said: "It's a great facility for eight to 14-year-olds who are looking for a different way of exercising.
- 1 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 2 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Grant Shapps denounces Insulate Britain protesters as 'dangerous and counterproductive'
- 8 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 9 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 10 Hertsmere: 6,000 home development included in Local Plan
"And this is a way of exercising that's fun at the same time.
"Some of the kids were running on the treadmill for 45 minutes without realising it because they were watching The Simpsons!