Gallery: Welwyn Garden City family meet England's football stars
A FATHER and son from Times Territory had a taste of life as an England footballer, after a visit to a private training session. After winning a competition through his building society, David Brett and his seven-year-old son Jacob were given exclusive
A FATHER and son from Times Territory had a taste of life as an England footballer, after a visit to a private training session.
After winning a competition through his building society, David Brett and his seven-year-old son Jacob were given exclusive access to Arsenal's London Colney training ground, where the England team were preparing for their Wembley showdown with Andorra.
They saw the likes of David Beckham, John Terry, Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney put through their paces by manager Fabio Cappello.
After the session, both players and manager joined competition winners, signing autographs and posing for photos.
"They were all really patient with us. They signed autographs and had their pictures taken," said David, from Tempsford, WGC.
"David Beckham was really nice. He waited with Jacob while I got another camera!"
- 1 Council to meet with Howard Centre and M&S over store closure
- 2 Free electric vehicle charging at new charging points
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
- 5 Fly-tipping on the rise as council determined to ‘eradicate the problem’
- 6 What is the future for The Howard Centre?
- 7 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 8 Man uses racist language in verbal attack
- 9 New Welwyn Garden City cycling improvements to be simulated
- 10 Plans to build 80 new flats in Hatfield approved
The training session David and Jacob watched proved to be a very useful one. England went on to smash Andorra 6-0 later on that week.
Frank Lampard, pictured here with Jacob, was among the scorers.