Gallery: Tornado causes a stir as she passes through Welwyn Hatfield
TRAIN enthusiasts have contacted the WHT to share their experience of Tornado passing through Times Territory. Tornado, the first main line steam locomotive to be built in Britain for 50 years, hauled her first
TRAIN enthusiasts have contacted the WHT to share their experience of Tornado passing through Times Territory.
Tornado, the first main line steam locomotive to be built in Britain for 50 years, hauled her first long-distance passenger train - The Talisman - from Darlington to London King's Cross on Saturday.
The train passed through Welwyn North, WGC, Hatfield and Potters Bar and was greeted by hundreds of interested onlookers at each station.
Ivor Williams, from Guessens Road, WGC, said: "It was very nostalgic, the last time I saw a steam train in WGC I was only three years old.
You may also want to watch:
"My wife said seeing The Talisman was just like a scene from The Railway Children with all the people in the train waving at us!"
He added: "We watched from the top level of the Howard Centre car park.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 10 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
"It was well worth the hour long wait in the freezing cold!"
Gary Payne, also of WGC, said: "I'm not a train person but would not have missed this."
Did you see the Tornado on Saturday? If so email your pictures and thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org