Gallery: Thousands show support for soldiers at Welwyn Garden City fun day
IT'S not every day a 1940s fighter plane flies over your town, but yesterday (May 31) was not an ordinary day in WGC. An estimated 19,000 people visited The Lagoon, near the Mundells roundabout, for the Support Our Troops fun day, in aid of the
IT'S not every day a 1940's fighter plane flies over your town, but yesterday (May 31) was not an ordinary day in WGC.
An estimated 19,000 people visited The Lagoon, near the Mundells roundabout, for the Support Our Troops fun day, in aid of the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA).
Among the many highlights at the free event was the UK launch of the new Aprilia RSV4 superbike, a classic car show, and displays from the Royal Artillery and Police motorcyclists.
And an RAF Hurricane fighter plane also flew over the town, as an early commemoration to mark D-Day this Saturday (June 6).
You may also want to watch:
The day was organised by Predator Motorsports, based in South Mundells, WGC, which has sponsored the Royal Artillery for the past seven years.
Managing director Colin Fitch said: "This show didn't exist four weeks ago. "Originally, I was going to have a bouncy castle and a barbecue, but then it just started to snowball.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 3 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 4 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 7 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 8 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 9 Charity golf day raises thousands for the Willow Foundation
- 10 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
One thing led to another, and I'm going to throw a massive party here for everyone who stepped up to the plate on the day and helped out."
*Were you at the open day? Email your photos of the event to firstname.lastname@example.org to stand a chance of seeing your snaps published in the June edition of Times magazine.