Gallery: Hatfield bus fire caught on camera
EYEWITNESSES to a spectacular bus fire have been sending in their photos to the WHT. Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday), the 603, a single-decker Uno bus, was travelling down Bishops Rise in Hatfield, when it suddenly set alight. Everyone on board
EYEWITNESSES to a spectacular bus fire have been sending in their photos to the WHT.
Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday), the 603, a single-decker Uno bus, was travelling down Bishops Rise in Hatfield, when it suddenly set alight.
Everyone on board managed to escape unharmed.
Firefighters from St Albans, who dealt with the blaze, said the bus was "well alight" by the time they arrived at just after 3.30pm.
"We believe it might have been a pipe that burst in the engine and got hot over a period of time and caught light," said a crew member who attended the scene.
"But by the time we put it out the bus was well and truly damaged, so we can't be certain."
- 1 IN PICTURES: Stars come out for Simply Red concert in Hatfield Park
- 2 Serious shrubland fire extinguished next to M25 on Hertfordshire border
- 3 Family living over their own waste for 13 years due to faulty pipe
- 4 Screen on the Green returning to Welwyn Garden City
- 5 Resident's fury after tree barrier to train line destroyed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Big Brother House set to return to Hertfordshire for 2023 reboot show
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Body of a man discovered in woodland near Welham Green
- 10 'Tesco must tackle blight of trolley-dumping in Potters Bar'
Onlooker Joe Broughton said: "The bus was alight for about 15 minutes until the fire brigade and police turned up.
"Fortunately no-one was hurt."
Michael Finn, general manager of Uno, said: "It's very unusual. We don't know the cause yet. We're just relieved that the bus was lightly loaded and all the passengers and the driver gout out quickly and safely.
"It was a very quick attendance from the police and the fire services, which is what you need in these situations.