Gallery: Hatfield bus fire caught on camera
EYEWITNESSES to a spectacular bus fire have been sending in their photos to the WHT. Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday), the 603, a single-decker Uno bus, was travelling down Bishops Rise in Hatfield, when it suddenly set alight. Everyone on board
EYEWITNESSES to a spectacular bus fire have been sending in their photos to the WHT.
Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday), the 603, a single-decker Uno bus, was travelling down Bishops Rise in Hatfield, when it suddenly set alight.
Everyone on board managed to escape unharmed.
Firefighters from St Albans, who dealt with the blaze, said the bus was "well alight" by the time they arrived at just after 3.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
"We believe it might have been a pipe that burst in the engine and got hot over a period of time and caught light," said a crew member who attended the scene.
"But by the time we put it out the bus was well and truly damaged, so we can't be certain."
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 6 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Explore Hertford Castle at free open day
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Onlooker Joe Broughton said: "The bus was alight for about 15 minutes until the fire brigade and police turned up.
"Fortunately no-one was hurt."
Michael Finn, general manager of Uno, said: "It's very unusual. We don't know the cause yet. We're just relieved that the bus was lightly loaded and all the passengers and the driver gout out quickly and safely.
"It was a very quick attendance from the police and the fire services, which is what you need in these situations.