Gallery: Gas explosion caused fire in WGC shops

PUBLISHED: 12:57 22 January 2008 | UPDATED: 21:54 26 October 2009

At the scene. Submitted.

At the scene. Submitted.

A GAS explosion caused fire to break out at a shopping parade.

It was feared propane gas canisters at the scene in Moors Walk, WGC, could also explode. Homes, businesses and a church were evacuated as a 200m cordon was put in place

At the scene. Submitted.

A GAS explosion caused fire to break out at a shopping parade.

It was feared propane gas canisters at the scene in Moors Walk, WGC, could also explode.

Homes, businesses and a church were evacuated as a 200m cordon was put in place.

Firefighters from WGC, Hatfield and Hertford were fighting the fire from around 10am this morning.

At the scene. Submitted.

The fire broke out in a container used by builders who had been working on the £5.5m development.

James Hammond, general foreman at the site, told the WHT at the scene: “One of the workers went in the container to make a cup of tea.

“When he put the gas stove on, we think the residual gas in the cabin ignited.”

Around 30 staff were evacuated from the site as emergency services raced to the scene.

At the scene. Submitted.

No-one was hurt.

A spokeswoman for Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said the propane gas canisters were still a threat as heat could cause them to explode.

Two water jets are currently being used to cool the area.

The spokeswoman added: “Steady progress is being made.”

Photos submitted by Tom Townhill, Darren Gray and Dean Genovese.

If you have any photos from the fire, email them to: whtimes@archant.co.uk

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists