Gallery: Four escape flat fire

PUBLISHED: 13:34 06 May 2008 | UPDATED: 21:29 26 October 2009

Firefighters at the scene of the fire

Firefighters at the scene of the fire

A BATTERY-LESS smoke alarm delayed firefighters getting to a flat fire today. Three fire crews, an ambulance and police raced to reports of people being trapped at Peartree Court in WGC. But all occupants of the first floor flat were out by

A BATTERY-LESS smoke alarm delayed firefighters getting to a flat fire today.

Three fire crews, an ambulance and police raced to reports of people being trapped at Peartree Court in WGC.

But all occupants of the first floor flat were out by the time crews arrived, just before midday.

Sub-officer Steve Duncan said a grill pan had caught alight, causing extensive smoke damage.

He said: "There's a strong safety message here, the smoke alarm battery had been taken out.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times