Gallery: Award-winning new look for historic Welwyn Garden City lodge
ONE of Times Territory s most historic buildings is undergoing an award-winning face-lift. Digswell Lodge is a Grade II listed, 17th century farmhouse in Digswell Rise, WGC. In its time it has been a home to dignitaries and farmers, and most recently wa
ONE of Times Territory's most historic buildings is undergoing an award-winning face-lift.
Digswell Lodge is a Grade II listed, 17th century farmhouse in Digswell Rise, WGC.
In its time it has been a home to dignitaries and farmers, and most recently was a residential home for the elderly.
But now the site is being converted into a new luxury housing development, and it's attracted praise not just from potential buyers.
You may also want to watch:
Hatfield-based building company RCP Contractors was employed by developers Beare Homes to undertake the redevelopment, and now RCP manager Russell Potter has been awarded site manager of the year for the eastern region by the Local Authority Building Control (LABC).
Mr Potter was modest about his award, simply saying: "It's nice to get a bit of recognition, particularly when that recognition is from professional surveyors at LABC."
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 4 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 5 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 6 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 7 Teenager charged after 'Rambo knife' and suspected class A drugs found
- 8 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 9 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 10 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
Instead, he paid tribute to the community spirit of his workforce and the partnership between RCP and Beare Homes, which operates from Digswell Lodge.
"Beare Homes approached us because we're a local firm that they had come across before," he said.
"They wanted to keep the job with a local builder, and we reciprocated that by employing local builders.
"So one of the oldest buildings in WGC is being restored by local lads. I was born in WGC, and so were half of the builders working here."
John Beare, partner at Beare Homes, said: "Despite the downturn in the economy, we have stuck by our principles and are continuing to provide the high standard of construction our clients have come to expect.
"We've worked together with RCP construction to produce a stylish development without equal on the west side of WGC."
Digswell Lodge is being converted into three luxury, self-contained apartments and a penthouse, while ten "garden cottages" are being built in the grounds.
Four of the newly-built houses are already complete, with two more expected to be ready within two months.
For more information, visit www.bearehomes.co.uk. For sales, call Country Properties on 01707 339146 or visit www.country-properties.co.uk