Gallery: Award-winning new look for historic Welwyn Garden City lodge
ONE of Times Territory s most historic buildings is undergoing an award-winning face-lift. Digswell Lodge is a Grade II listed, 17th century farmhouse in Digswell Rise, WGC. In its time it has been a home to dignitaries and farmers, and most recently wa
ONE of Times Territory's most historic buildings is undergoing an award-winning face-lift.
Digswell Lodge is a Grade II listed, 17th century farmhouse in Digswell Rise, WGC.
In its time it has been a home to dignitaries and farmers, and most recently was a residential home for the elderly.
But now the site is being converted into a new luxury housing development, and it's attracted praise not just from potential buyers.
You may also want to watch:
Hatfield-based building company RCP Contractors was employed by developers Beare Homes to undertake the redevelopment, and now RCP manager Russell Potter has been awarded site manager of the year for the eastern region by the Local Authority Building Control (LABC).
Mr Potter was modest about his award, simply saying: "It's nice to get a bit of recognition, particularly when that recognition is from professional surveyors at LABC."
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn
Instead, he paid tribute to the community spirit of his workforce and the partnership between RCP and Beare Homes, which operates from Digswell Lodge.
"Beare Homes approached us because we're a local firm that they had come across before," he said.
"They wanted to keep the job with a local builder, and we reciprocated that by employing local builders.
"So one of the oldest buildings in WGC is being restored by local lads. I was born in WGC, and so were half of the builders working here."
John Beare, partner at Beare Homes, said: "Despite the downturn in the economy, we have stuck by our principles and are continuing to provide the high standard of construction our clients have come to expect.
"We've worked together with RCP construction to produce a stylish development without equal on the west side of WGC."
Digswell Lodge is being converted into three luxury, self-contained apartments and a penthouse, while ten "garden cottages" are being built in the grounds.
Four of the newly-built houses are already complete, with two more expected to be ready within two months.
For more information, visit www.bearehomes.co.uk. For sales, call Country Properties on 01707 339146 or visit www.country-properties.co.uk