Gallery: Award-winning new look for historic Welwyn Garden City lodge
ONE of Times Territory s most historic buildings is undergoing an award-winning face-lift. Digswell Lodge is a Grade II listed, 17th century farmhouse in Digswell Rise, WGC. In its time it has been a home to dignitaries and farmers, and most recently wa
ONE of Times Territory's most historic buildings is undergoing an award-winning face-lift.
Digswell Lodge is a Grade II listed, 17th century farmhouse in Digswell Rise, WGC.
In its time it has been a home to dignitaries and farmers, and most recently was a residential home for the elderly.
But now the site is being converted into a new luxury housing development, and it's attracted praise not just from potential buyers.
Hatfield-based building company RCP Contractors was employed by developers Beare Homes to undertake the redevelopment, and now RCP manager Russell Potter has been awarded site manager of the year for the eastern region by the Local Authority Building Control (LABC).
Mr Potter was modest about his award, simply saying: "It's nice to get a bit of recognition, particularly when that recognition is from professional surveyors at LABC."
- 1 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 2 First business moves into Hatfield's new £45m High View development
- 3 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Potters Bar school in top 10 of The Sunday Times Schools Guide 2022
- 6 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 8 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 9 From Russia with love... Catherine The Great series returns to Hatfield for season two of period drama
- 10 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
Instead, he paid tribute to the community spirit of his workforce and the partnership between RCP and Beare Homes, which operates from Digswell Lodge.
"Beare Homes approached us because we're a local firm that they had come across before," he said.
"They wanted to keep the job with a local builder, and we reciprocated that by employing local builders.
"So one of the oldest buildings in WGC is being restored by local lads. I was born in WGC, and so were half of the builders working here."
John Beare, partner at Beare Homes, said: "Despite the downturn in the economy, we have stuck by our principles and are continuing to provide the high standard of construction our clients have come to expect.
"We've worked together with RCP construction to produce a stylish development without equal on the west side of WGC."
Digswell Lodge is being converted into three luxury, self-contained apartments and a penthouse, while ten "garden cottages" are being built in the grounds.
Four of the newly-built houses are already complete, with two more expected to be ready within two months.
For more information, visit www.bearehomes.co.uk. For sales, call Country Properties on 01707 339146 or visit www.country-properties.co.uk