Funeral held for Potters Bar councillor
THE funeral of Potters Bar councillor Martin Heywood, who died earlier this month aged 56, has taken place today (Thursday). Mourners lined the streets as cllr Heywood s coffin stopped outside Hertsmere Council s head offices in Borehamwood – as a mark of
THE funeral of Potters Bar councillor Martin Heywood, who died earlier this month aged 56, has taken place today (Thursday).
Mourners lined the streets as cllr Heywood's coffin stopped outside Hertsmere Council's head offices in Borehamwood - as a mark of respect to the former mayor borough mayor.
The cortege then carried on to a service held at Garston Cremetorium, near Watford.
The Oakmere ward councillor died on Saturday, September 5, after a long illness.
You may also want to watch:
Hertsmere council leader Morris Bright, who was at the service, said: "It was a service of great dignity and respect.
"There was an excellent turn out. There most have been over 100 people there, and then some.
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 7 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 8 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Lessons from Auschwitz: Why we must keep talking about the Holocaust
"There were representatives from the borough, town and county councils, council staff past and present, police officers and voluntary organisations.
"We managed to raise a smile, which is what Martin would have wanted; he always had a smile for everyone.
"And it gave us an opportunity to pay tribute to all the work that he has done as a councillor over the years.
"I know that his family found it (the service) very helpful, and felt very supported on the day.