Funeral held for Potters Bar councillor
THE funeral of Potters Bar councillor Martin Heywood, who died earlier this month aged 56, has taken place today (Thursday). Mourners lined the streets as cllr Heywood s coffin stopped outside Hertsmere Council s head offices in Borehamwood – as a mark of
THE funeral of Potters Bar councillor Martin Heywood, who died earlier this month aged 56, has taken place today (Thursday).
Mourners lined the streets as cllr Heywood's coffin stopped outside Hertsmere Council's head offices in Borehamwood - as a mark of respect to the former mayor borough mayor.
The cortege then carried on to a service held at Garston Cremetorium, near Watford.
The Oakmere ward councillor died on Saturday, September 5, after a long illness.
You may also want to watch:
Hertsmere council leader Morris Bright, who was at the service, said: "It was a service of great dignity and respect.
"There was an excellent turn out. There most have been over 100 people there, and then some.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 9 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 10 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
"There were representatives from the borough, town and county councils, council staff past and present, police officers and voluntary organisations.
"We managed to raise a smile, which is what Martin would have wanted; he always had a smile for everyone.
"And it gave us an opportunity to pay tribute to all the work that he has done as a councillor over the years.
"I know that his family found it (the service) very helpful, and felt very supported on the day.