Fundraisers tackling 32-mile China trek for Welwyn Garden City-based charity
PUBLISHED: 13:04 20 October 2017 | UPDATED: 13:14 20 October 2017
Twelve intrepid trekkers are conquering a nine-day challenge in China for a Welwyn Garden City-based charity.
Supporters of Isabel Hospice, which provides support to adults with life-limiting illnesses, have travelled to Beijing where they are attempting to walk 32 miles along the undulating Great Wall.
It is hoped the trek will raise £30k for the hospice.
WGC resident Megan Sparrey, challenge events coordinator for the hospice, said before they left this week: “We are all really excited about this trek and a little apprehensive too of course.
“There are going to be so many steps and narrow pathways.”
She added that many of the trekkers are walking in memory of loved ones, making the adventure even more emotional for all involved.
Emma Cook, 23, walking in memory of her dad Steve, said that after two years of battling cancer he was looked after for the final period by the charity.
“Just before Christmas 2009 my dad went to the Isabel Hospice, and that’s where he spent his last 13 days before he passed away,” she said.
“The Isabel Hospice cared for my dad and they supported my mum Lynn and my sister Laura and I through this terrible time.”
Emma has sky-dived and fire-walked for the hospice since her dad died, but said this would be the biggest challenge yet.
“This trek will take me on a vigorous uphill climb which will require an intense training plan prior to the challenge,” she added.
“I am definitely not the fittest or sportiest of people and this challenge is completely out of my comfort zone and will test me to the limit.”
The trekkers are sending back a daily blog, which can be followed at http://www.isabelhospice.org.uk/about-us/blog
For more information and to donate, visit the trekkers’ fundraising pages:
1. Lauren Howell, Sawbridgeworth - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Lauren-Hughes25
2. Sharon Howell, Hertford - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Sharon-Howell2
3. Stacey Euesden, Potters Bar - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stacey-Euesden4
4. Justin Poulter, Bishops Stortford - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Justine-Poulter10
5. Stuart Anderson, Hertford - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stuart-Anderson686
6. Chris Lane, Welwyn Garden City - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/christopher-lane4
9. Lynda Wilebore, Hertford - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Lynda-Wilebore
10. Megan Sparrey, Welwyn Garden City https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/megan-sparrey1
11. Emma Cook, Welwyn Garden City - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/emmacookchina
12. Brendan Ryan, London - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Brend
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.