Free swimming in Potters Bar will continue
FREE swimming for pensioners and youngsters in Potters Bar will continue for a further six months. Hertsmere borough councillors voted to extend the pilot currently operating until at least March next year. Since April, the over-60s and under-16s in Potte
FREE swimming for pensioners and youngsters in Potters Bar will continue for a further six months.
Hertsmere borough councillors voted to extend the pilot currently operating until at least March next year.
Since April, the over-60s and under-16s in Potters Bar have been able to use the pool at the Furzefield Leisure Centre, in Mutton Lane, for free for a total of seven hours each week.
The scheme, which has cost the borough council �3,098, had been due to come to an end on September 30.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Brenda Batten, portfolio holder for leisure, culture and health, said: "There has been a fantastic response to the free swimming.
"Every resident who took part was written to and invited to take part in a questionnaire and the overall response has been positive."
- 1 'We were only open 20 days before the first lockdown' - First time restaurant owner optimistic after difficult first year
- 2 Ocado opens new development centre, creating 100 new jobs
- 3 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 4 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 5 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 6 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 7 Weight lifted as Slimming World classes return as COVID-19 restrictions ease
- 8 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 9 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 10 Delight for Hatfield Swim Centre as lockdown easing sees group classes return
She added: "The take up has been good and residents have said it has encouraged them to go more often.
"Regular swimming has specific health benefits and can contribute towards an improved quality of life so this is great news."
During September, the free sessions are available at the Furzefield Centre in Potters Bar on Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 7.30am and 9.30am, and 4pm to 6pm.