Four arrested in Hertfordshire scrap metal raids
A SCRAP yard in Welham Green was one of those raided by police across Hertfordshire this week.
Four people were arrested across the county and a series of fines were handed as police cracked down on stolen metal inside Hertfordshire merchants as part of new campaign - Operation Devon - on Tuesday.
A large quantity of filched metal, including BT cabling, was discovered as the force raided businesses in Stapleford, Hoddesdon, Welham Green and Hitchin.
“This was just the start of a series of initiatives to combat metal thieves,” said detective inspector Gerry McDonald, who is leading the force-wide effort. “We are determined to crack down on these thieves, who will strip a community of its telephone or electrical services, risk lives by exposing live wires and cause thousands of pounds worth of damage at a time.”
As part of Operation Devon the constabulary will be working closely with scrap merchants and will also be rallying the public to both inform them of suspicious behaviour and make sure their sheds and garages are secure.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said residents should look out for vehicles in the area that wouldn’t usually be there; lifted or missing drain covers or even those who seem like genuine engineers perhaps working late at night or very early morning.
Contact the non emergency 0845 33 00 222 if you see any of the above.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
Gerry added: “We’d much rather people called up to report their suspicion and it turns out to be nothing, rather than keeping quiet and a crime being committed. Often small details build up into a bigger picture which can help us enormously.”