Former Welwyn player helps British Lions beat South Africa
FORMER Welwyn rugby player Joe Worsley helped the British and Irish Lions beat South Africa 28-9 yesterday (Saturday). The London Wasps and England flanker came into the team at six for his Lions Test debut against the Springboks at Ellis Park, Johannesbu
FORMER Welwyn rugby player Joe Worsley helped the British and Irish Lions beat South Africa 28-9 yesterday (Saturday).
The London Wasps and England flanker came into the team at six for his Lions Test debut against the Springboks at Ellis Park, Johannesburg.
And the fearless back row put in a typically tough-tackling performance for the tourists in another ferocious battle between the two sides.
Worsley briefly left the field in the first half for a blood injury and eventually made way for replacement Tom Croft with 14 minutes left.
You may also want to watch:
Lions captain Paul O'Connell praised Worsley's immense defensive efforts against the world champions afterwards.
The Lions won the match thanks to two first-half tries by mercurial Welsh winger Shane Williams and a stunning 70 metre interception effort by Harlequins wing Ugo Monye.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 6 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
Wales fly-half Stephen Jones kicked two conversions and landed a couple of penalties to clinch the victory.
Morne Steyn kicked all of South Africa's points.
The Springboks had already won the series after winning the first two tests.