Former Welwyn Garden City resident returns home after 75 years
A FORMER resident of Times Territory has returned to his old home town for the first time in 75 years. Anthony Titford left his home in New Road, Digswell in 1935, having previously spent his childhood living in Russellcroft Road, WGC, during the 1920s.
A FORMER resident of Times Territory has returned to his old home town for the first time in 75 years.
Anthony Titford left his home in New Road, Digswell in 1935, having previously spent his childhood living in Russellcroft Road, WGC, during the 1920s.
Today (Wednesday), 92-year-old Mr Titford was welcomed back to WGC by members of the Welwyn Garden Heritage Trust and Welwyn Hatfield mayor Kim Langley.
"I'm very glad I came back," Mr Titford told the Welwyn & Hatfield Times. "It's a total revelation. Parkway and Howardsgate were just kerbstones, and a few bushes and flowerbeds when I left. There was nothing above a foot high."
You may also want to watch:
His two-day trip included a visit to his former homes, and a tour around the town as it stands today.
"I think it's (WGC) really beautiful," said Mr Titford. "I like all the trees out here and the neo-Georgian houses. But if you'd put me in this town on my own, I wouldn't have known I was in WGC."
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 6 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 9 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 10 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
For more on Mr Titford's visit to WGC, see next week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.