Former Hatfield schoolboy 'Left for dead'
A YOUNG man is fighting for life after being allegedly run over by a tipper truck yards from his own front door. Former Hatfield schoolboy Michael Doody was left with 17 pelvic fractures, a broken leg and severe internal injuries after the horrific attack
A YOUNG man is fighting for life after being allegedly run over by a tipper truck yards from his own front door.
Former Hatfield schoolboy Michael Doody was left with 17 pelvic fractures, a broken leg and severe internal injuries after the horrific attack.
This week his mum Polly Havard has released this dramatic picture as her son lies in intensive care, unable to talk, and asks the question: "Why would anyone do this to anybody else?".
Polly, 48, believed Michael, who went to Onslow St Audrey's School, might not pull through.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking from Michael's bedside she said: "He was broken in half, he can't breathe properly on his own and there is scaffolding holding him together.
"The police originally said this was a minor assault.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn
"For the first few days everybody thought he wasn't going to make it."
Michael has woken up after a seven-hour operation, but is on a ventilator to help him breathe.
A metal clamp is holding his pelvis together and he now has a permanent metal rod in his leg.
The alleged attack took place in Reed Close, London Colney.
* Thomas Taylor, 18, of Valley Road, Walsall, was arrested in Colney Heath and was charged with grievous bodily harm with intent.
He was granted conditional bail.