Former engineer died in mystery house fire, inquest hears

John Palmer died after a fire in his living room, an inquest heard

John Palmer died after a fire in his living room, an inquest heard - Credit: Archant

A RETIRED engineer died after a fire in his living room, which left him with 100 per cent burns, an inquest heard.

On Tuesday Hertfordshire Coroner’s Court, in Hatfield, heard John Palmer either leant over his gas fire and was set alight, or a faulty gas switch flooded the room and a “flash fire” engulfed the Welwyn resident when he pushed the ignition button. Mr Palmer, 65, of The Crescent, was at home alone when tragedy struck and the flames did not spread to any other part of his house.

A lack of oxygen meant the fire burned itself out.

Neighbours were unaware of the blaze, and Mr Palmer’s fate was only discovered when worried friends contacted the police.

Police discovered Mr Palmer’s body after forcing entry on April 18 this year, but the fire could have happened any time after April 13.

You may also want to watch:

A fire investigation was launched with station commander Trevor Brown leading Herts Fire and Rescue Service’s probe.

Mr Brown said: “He would not have know anything about it, he would not have suffered.”

Most Read

He said the room appeared to be “painted black” with soot when he arrived and both firefighters and officers could not find any evidence there was a third party involved.

Assistant coroner Alison Grief recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus