First taste of snow for Welwyn’s snow leopards
WHEN your natural habitat is the mountains of central Asia, snowfall is a pretty common occurrence. But when you call a big cat sanctuary in Welwyn home, seeing any snow at all is much rarer.
But when you call a big cat sanctuary in Welwyn home, seeing any snow at all is much rarer.
Not that a minor detail like that deterred the 11 snow leopards at the Cat Survival Trust from having fun in the white stuff, when it fell last week.
For the younger cubs, like seven-month-old cub Nina – snapped here by Welwyn Hatfield Times reader James Godwin – it was their very first taste of snow.
Dr Terry Moore, who has run the sanctuary in Codicote Road for 34 years, said: “They just love the snow.
You may also want to watch:
“Other cats like the jaguars don’t like it at all and stay inside all day.
“But all the snow leopards were out enjoying every minute of it.
- 1 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 2 Welwyn Garden City man shares 9.5 stone weight loss journey
- 3 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Council leader survives no confidence vote
- 6 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 7 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 8 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 9 Welwyn Garden City one step closer FA Cup dreamland with deserved victory at Bedford Town
- 10 DIY SOS star Billy Byrne set to open returning Codicote Village Day this weekend
“They have such thick coats and fur on their tails, they just don’t feel it at all.”
* More than 30 big cats, including Amur leopards, pallas cats and European lynx, call the trust their home.
The charity also owns a 10,000-acre reserve in the north east of Argentina, which provides a protected habitat for around 70 big cats.
Dr Moore is always on the look out for volunteers and donations.
If you can help, call 01438 716873 or click the link above.