Firm fined after Hatfield engineer electrocuted

A COMPANY was yesterday (Wednesday) ordered to pay �100,000 after a devoted young father was electrocuted while fixing a washing machine. SF(UK), the engineering arm of British Gas, faced sentence after admitting breaching health and safety law. Ricky Cr

A COMPANY was yesterday (Wednesday) ordered to pay �100,000 after a devoted young father was electrocuted while fixing a washing machine.

SF(UK), the engineering arm of British Gas, faced sentence after admitting breaching health and safety law.

Ricky Cronin, 30, of Astwick Avenue, Hatfield, died in June 2005 in his fifth week of being a British Gas engineer.

Judge Stephen Warner at St Albans Crown Court fined SF(UK) �35,000 with court costs of �65,000.

* A detailed court report and reaction from Mr Cronin's family will be in next Wednesday's Welwyn and Hatfield Times.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter