Firefighters called to “burning smell” at Welwyn Garden City bank
AN electrical fire caused a WGC bank to be evacuated this afternoon (Thursday).
Firefighters were called to Howardsgate at around 1pm, following reports of a burning smell at HSBC bank.
Two fire engines from WGC station and one from Hatfield rushed to the scene, and extinguished a small fire caused by a water leak dripping onto an exposed piece of wiring.
The water caused electricity to arc from the wire to a metal screw, and firefighters used a CO2 extinguisher to put out the sparks.
WGC fire station commander Rad Bristow said: “We mobilised three appliances to a smell of burning at HSBC bank, following a water leak.
You may also want to watch:
“There was quite a large area of arcing between a wire and a screw, with localised burning.
“The building was evacuated by the bank and we used a carbon dioxide extinguisher to put out the sparking.
- 1 Six-year-old to raise money for Afghan refugees with readathon
- 2 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 3 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 4 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 5 Liam Gallagher sells out his two Knebworth Park 2022 shows
- 6 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 7 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
“An HSBC engineer is currently immobilising the electricity.”