Firefighters battle massive crop blaze near Knebworth
- Credit: Archant
Emergency crews battled a massive crop fire in fields near Knebworth this afternoon (July 19).
A fire service spokesman said there is an “area of stubble approximately 100m by 100m, well alight” off Stevenage Road.
Five fire engines attended – two from Stevenage, and one from Welwyn, Hitchin and Letchworth – along with police officers.
A witness said at 1.55pm that it was “just smouldering now – a large area is scorched, there are several appliances scattered at strategic points dampening the surrounding area”.
The fire service spokesman said the blaze spread to the nearby railway embankment, but was eventually contained and extinguished by 2.43pm.
You may also want to watch:
He added it was listed as accidental.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 3 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 4 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 5 School donates textbooks to help communities in Kenya
- 6 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 7 Fantastic florist and art gallery opens in Hatfield following lockdown easing
- 8 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 9 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 10 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack