Fire risk wake-up call to Hatfield students
FIREFIGHTERS are warning residents – and university students in particular – about the dangers of falling asleep with cookers left on.
The plea for vigilance came after fire crews were called to four separate kitchen blazes in Hatfield in just four days.
Simon Dredge, a crew commander at Hatfield fire station, said on each occasion the homes belonged to students.
He said: “In four days we’ve had as many kitchen fires – not all full-blown blazes, but all down to cooking.
“They were all students as well; leaving their cooking unattended and either going out or going to sleep.
You may also want to watch:
“In one of the cases a chip pan had ignited.
“When we got there, smoke was billowing out of the window and fire was crawling over the ceiling.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 5 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 6 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 7 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 8 Charity golf day raises thousands for the Willow Foundation
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
“Luckily everyone had got out safely.”
He said: “It might be just a bit of burnt cooking, but it creates a lot of smoke and damage.”
The incidents took place at properties in Cunningham Avenue, Dragon Road, Wood Vale and a halls of residence on the University of Hertfordshire’s de Havilland campus.
Now Mr Dredge, who was named Hertfordshire’s firefighter of the year in October, said he was planning to work with the university in a targeted campaign to help raise fire safety awareness among students.
Dean of students David Ball said the university did what it could to highlight fire safety advice in halls of residence.
Mr Ball said: “There are safety notices and fire extinguishers in all halls of residence and we continue to keep students informed of safety procedures.
“Our staff in the halls of residence are fully trained and maintain good links with the local fire brigade.”