Fire in Welwyn Garden City fish and chip restaurant
PUBLISHED: 13:31 28 September 2011 | UPDATED: 13:46 28 September 2011
A FIRE broke out at a fish and chip restaurant in WGC town centre this afternoon (Wednesday).
Firefighters were called to Classic Fish and Chips in Stonehills just after 12pm, after a small fire broke out in the kitchen area.
A large crowd gathered to watch as crews from WGC and Hatfield went in to the shop wearing breathing apparatus, as staff and customers who had evacuated the premises looked on.
WGC fire station commander Rad Bristow said the fire started in the restaurant’s cooking range, which was then sucked up into the extractor fan.
Firefighters used thermal imaging equipment to make sure the flames had not spread elsewhere.
“The owner had already tackled the fire by the time we got here, but it was still quite smokey, so we used breathing apparatus and a pressure ventilation fan to clear it,” Mr Bristow said.
“We still have to investigate to make sure the fire still isn’t in the extractor fan.”
Mr Bristow also commended the restaurant’s owners for their quick thinking in getting staff and customers out of the building.
“They did everything correctly which meant there was a quick and safe evacuation and as a result nobody was hurt,” he said.
Restaurant owner John Akkaya, who runs Classic Fish and Chips with his father Mehmet, said: “We made sure we got the customers and staff out safely.
“There’s damage to the extractor and it will need replacing, but it’s not too serious and nobody has been injured.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.