Fire at Crooked Chimney
A FIRE broke out yesterday (Wednesday) in a pub’s iconic chimney.
Smoke filled the Crooked Chimney pub at around 1.15pm and firefighters from WGC’s white watch raced to the scene.
Crew commander Mark Pidduck told the WHT the unique shape of the Marford Road pub’s chimney was a major part of the problem.
Mr Pidduck said: “They have extractor fans at the top of the chimney, which draws the air out because it’s crooked.
“One of the fans wasn’t working so there was a build up of soot and it dropped down into the hearth.
You may also want to watch:
“It caused a lot of smoke in the pub and there was a fire in the chimney
“We had to extinguish the fire using chimney rods, but because it’s crooked we had to call in the aerial ladder platform and look down from above.”
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 4 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 5 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 6 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 7 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 10 Foundation makes much-needed toy donation to Welwyn Garden City school
The pub was shut for around and an hour, but reopened the same day.