Fire at Crooked Chimney
PUBLISHED: 09:54 02 December 2010 | UPDATED: 09:59 02 December 2010
A FIRE broke out yesterday (Wednesday) in a pub’s iconic chimney.
Smoke filled the Crooked Chimney pub at around 1.15pm and firefighters from WGC’s white watch raced to the scene.
Crew commander Mark Pidduck told the WHT the unique shape of the Marford Road pub’s chimney was a major part of the problem.
Mr Pidduck said: “They have extractor fans at the top of the chimney, which draws the air out because it’s crooked.
“One of the fans wasn’t working so there was a build up of soot and it dropped down into the hearth.
“It caused a lot of smoke in the pub and there was a fire in the chimney
“We had to extinguish the fire using chimney rods, but because it’s crooked we had to call in the aerial ladder platform and look down from above.”
The pub was shut for around and an hour, but reopened the same day.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.