Fat fryer catches fire in Potters Bar restaurant

CUSTOMERS were evacuated from a fast food restaurant in Potters Bar following a kitchen fire. Firefighters were called to McDonald's, in Metropolitan House, Darkes Lane after wiring caught alight behind a fat fryer. Crews from

CUSTOMERS were evacuated from a fast food restaurant in Potters Bar following a kitchen fire.

Firefighters were called to McDonald's, in Metropolitan House, Darkes Lane after wiring caught alight behind a fat fryer.

Crews from Potters Bar, Hatfield and Borehamwood used a fire extinguisher and a hose reel to put out the flames.

Crew commander Laurence Smith, from Potters Bar fire station, said the eatery was "heavily smoke-logged" following the blaze.


You may also want to watch:


A high pressure fan was used to clear the fumes.

A fire service spokeswoman confirmed that the cause of the fire, which took hold at around 8pm on Wednesday, was accidental.

Most Read

She added that eight people were involved but none were injured.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter