Family’s lucky escape after car fire in A1(M) Hatfield Tunnel
- Credit: Archant
A family had a lucky escape after a car fire in the A1(M) Hatfield Tunnel.
On Boxing Day, Saturday, December 26, police were called shortly before 2.20pm to reports of a Vauxhall Astra on fire in the tunnel.
The southbound carriageway was closed between Junction 3 and 4 for about 30 minutes.
Fire crews from Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City and St Albans were called to the scene and were mobilised within 40 seconds.
Crews reported that the car was “well alight” and had extinguished the blaze with one hose reel by 2.45pm.
You may also want to watch:
The fire service had received at least 20 calls to the scene in quick succession.
A police spokesman said: “It looks like there were four people in the vehicle and the family were taken by police to their destination in Hertfordshire.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 7 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed