F1 champion Lewis Hamilton opposes 'Most wins' rule change
ONE man firmly against the new points system to be introduced in Formula 1 this season is reigning champion Lewis Hamilton. It was revealed yesterday that the driver with the most wins will be crowned champion this year. If such a system existed last seas
ONE man firmly against the new points system to be introduced in Formula 1 this season is reigning champion Lewis Hamilton.
It was revealed yesterday that the driver with the most wins will be crowned champion this year.
If such a system existed last season, Ferrari's Felipe Massa would have been the world champion - as he had won six races compared to Lewis' five.
Tewin race ace Lewis had delivered his verdict on the move when speaking at the launch of the new Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-24, in January.
You may also want to watch:
Asked then if he backed the proposals, the 24-year-old replied bluntly: "Not really, no."
He added: "It should be the team who is most consistent."
- 1 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 5 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 8 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 9 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has introduced the changes in a bid to encourage drivers to go all out for the win in Grands Prix, rather than settle for a place in the points.
The current points rankings - 10 points for the winner, eight points for second and so on - will still operate to decide a tie if two drivers have the same number of wins, and to define all other championship positions.