Exploding deodorant can destroys wall in Hatfield fire
A DEODORANT spray can blasted a hole in a wall during a fire at a Hatfield home.
Fire crews were called to a town house in Walker Grove, Hatfield at 2pm yesterday (Tuesday) after smoke was seen coming from a window.
Firefighters from Hatfield and St Albans forced entry into the property before extinguishing the fire.
The blaze had been caused by a lit tea light being left unattended in a bedroom. It caught fire to a plastic bottle which in turn heated the deodorant can.
The can exploded, destroying a bedroom wall and sending debris flying out the window.
You may also want to watch:
Hatfield fire station crew manager Simon Dredge warned people of the dangers of leaving candles unattended.
“Fortunately nobody was hurt within the premises, as everyone was away from the premises at the time of the explosion,” he said.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
“Place tea lights within a suitable candle holder – the metal case they come in are not suitable. Never leave a lit candle unattended, and keep them away from flammable items.
“Heated deodorant cans can explode causing significant damage – do not place them on top of storage heaters or near sources of heat.”