EXCLUSIVE: Supermarket's plans unveiled
SUPERMARKET bosses have unveiled plans for a massive new town centre store. Sainsbury s in WGC will completely revamp and expand its existing shop, taking over a huge chunk of land. It aims to revitalise the south side of the town, which has suffered
SUPERMARKET bosses have unveiled plans for a massive new town centre store.
Sainsbury's in WGC will completely revamp and expand its existing shop, taking over a huge chunk of land.
It aims to revitalise the south side of the town, which has suffered from years of neglect.
Supermarket bigwigs had planned to redevelop the store in 2007 but halted the development when the chance to purchase the entire block from Wigmores South to Parkway and Church Road became a possibility.
You may also want to watch:
They are now planning an exciting redevelopment over four floors.
Travelators will whisk shoppers to the first floor which will be filled with food items.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 8 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 9 Girls of Potters Bar Crusaders happy with draw at hot Harpenden
- 10 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
A mezzanine level above that will contain clothing and household ranges, bringing the overall floors space to 61,000 sq ft - almost four times its current size.
A car park for more than 450 spaces will be built across the ground and basement levels.
And a glass walled extension will be home to café areas, while Wigmores South and the Church Road receive an extensive facelift.
Robert Oxley, the chain's regional development executive, said: "We've got to transform Sainsbury's in WGC.
"We want to be winning back shoppers from out of town stores - this will be good news for us and good news for our neighbours.
"Sainsbury's is working on high quality designs which respect the conservation area.
"We've got an opportunity to create a strong anchor for the southern end of town, mirroring John Lewis and Waitrose in the north.
"In addition, our car park will be open to all visitors to the town centre, regardless of whether they visit Sainsbury's, meaning that all the traders in the area should benefit."
* What do you think of the plans? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01707 384183.