Essendon children's centre bid sparks protest
PLANS to build a children s centre in a sleepy village have received a stormy reception from residents, who fear for the safety of youngsters. Villagers in Essendon are objecting to the bid to set up a Sure Start centre. They believe the site, next to Es
PLANS to build a children's centre in a sleepy village have received a stormy reception from residents, who fear for the safety of youngsters.
Villagers in Essendon are objecting to the bid to set up a Sure Start centre.
They believe the site, next to Essendon Primary School, is out-of-keeping with the area and would intrude on people's privacy.
Worries for residents include the site blocking views of the countryside and increasing traffic congestion.
You may also want to watch:
The centre, which will be run by YMCA Central Herts, has been designed as part of the Government's Every Child Matters programme.
The scheme aims to provide a range of health and family support, for those with children under five.
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 7 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 10 Lessons from Auschwitz: Why we must keep talking about the Holocaust
For more information see last week's Welwyn Hatfield Times.