Essendon children's centre bid sparks protest
PLANS to build a children s centre in a sleepy village have received a stormy reception from residents, who fear for the safety of youngsters. Villagers in Essendon are objecting to the bid to set up a Sure Start centre. They believe the site, next to Es
PLANS to build a children's centre in a sleepy village have received a stormy reception from residents, who fear for the safety of youngsters.
Villagers in Essendon are objecting to the bid to set up a Sure Start centre.
They believe the site, next to Essendon Primary School, is out-of-keeping with the area and would intrude on people's privacy.
Worries for residents include the site blocking views of the countryside and increasing traffic congestion.
You may also want to watch:
The centre, which will be run by YMCA Central Herts, has been designed as part of the Government's Every Child Matters programme.
The scheme aims to provide a range of health and family support, for those with children under five.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 5 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 8 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 9 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 10 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
For more information see last week's Welwyn Hatfield Times.