Essendon children's centre bid sparks protest
PLANS to build a children s centre in a sleepy village have received a stormy reception from residents, who fear for the safety of youngsters. Villagers in Essendon are objecting to the bid to set up a Sure Start centre. They believe the site, next to Es
PLANS to build a children's centre in a sleepy village have received a stormy reception from residents, who fear for the safety of youngsters.
Villagers in Essendon are objecting to the bid to set up a Sure Start centre.
They believe the site, next to Essendon Primary School, is out-of-keeping with the area and would intrude on people's privacy.
Worries for residents include the site blocking views of the countryside and increasing traffic congestion.
You may also want to watch:
The centre, which will be run by YMCA Central Herts, has been designed as part of the Government's Every Child Matters programme.
The scheme aims to provide a range of health and family support, for those with children under five.
- 1 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 2 Audi and jewellery worth £70K stolen in Hatfield burglary
- 3 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 4 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Filming taking place at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 8 Rumoured Halifax closure would leave Hatfield with no banks
- 9 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
For more information see last week's Welwyn Hatfield Times.