End of the road for Hatfield student Despina's X Factor dream
IT all ended in tears for University of Hertfordshire student Despina Pilavakis, as she was booted out of The X Factor last night (Sunday). The 20-year-old singer, a second year music student at the Hatfield-based university, wept after being told by me
IT all ended in tears for University of Hertfordshire student Despina Pilavakis, as she was booted out of The X Factor last night (Sunday).
The 20-year-old singer, a second year music student at the Hatfield-based university, wept after being told by mentor Dannii Minogue that she would not be progressing through to the live finals next week.
Instead, Essex girl Stacey Solomon, Welsh youngster Lucie Jones and teenager Rachel Adedeji will be representing the girls in the final 12.
Viewers on Saturday saw Despina sing Christina Aguilera's The Voice Within in front of Dannii and her sister, Kylie Minogue, at the judge's home in Dubai.
You may also want to watch:
But her performance divided the opinion of the Minogue sisters.
Kylie said that she performed a difficult song but "made it seem pretty easy".
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 4 Police disperse large group near the university
- 5 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 6 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 7 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 8 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
But Dannii countered: "She made it seem easy but I'm not sure she put her stamp on it.
"I'm not sure she showed me something that was different."
Despina was one of three girls left disappointed. Former S Club Junior Stacey McClean and Nicole Jackson were also told it was not to be.