Eleven arrested in Hertfordshire cashpoint scam
ELEVEN people have been arrested in connection with a cashpoint scam which has struck the pockets of Times Territory residents. So far this year, there have been more than 100 reports of stolen money from cash machines in Hertfordshire – the majority
ELEVEN people have been arrested in connection with a cashpoint scam which has struck the pockets of Times Territory residents.
So far this year, there have been more than 100 reports of stolen money from cash machines in Hertfordshire - the majority occurring after using a Barclays Bank machine.
Areas hit by thieves include WGC, Welwyn, Hatfield, Cuffley and Potters Bar.
Police are now urging people to be on their guard when withdrawing money from cash machines and to always cover their hand while imputing their PIN number.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Peter Eames, from the cheque and credit card fraud unit at Hertfordshire Constabulary, said: "This is a despicable crime and we are conducting several lines of inquiry and working closely with the banks to bring those responsible for this to justice.
"I would ask cash machine users to be even more vigilant when using these machines and report any suspicious activity or devices to police immediately."
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 9 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 10 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
A Barclays Bank spokesman said they were "working hard" to combat the attacks while ensuring they "maintain a maximum ATM service".
He added: "We advise customers to always be vigilant when using their bank cards, most importantly, ensure you always shield your PIN.
"If a customer is an innocent victim of fraud, we have a policy which ensures they are refunded any losses."
If your card is withheld or you notice any suspicious behaviour, notify your bank immediately.
Barclays Bank customers should call 0870 010 4503 so their card can be blocked immediately and rendered useless to the criminals.
If you have any information on the cash point scam call police on 0845 33 00 222.
* Two men, aged 20 and 33 and both of no fixed abode, have appeared before magistrates and remanded on fraud charges.
A 28-year-old man from London and a 35-year-old man from Ilford were also arrested and bailed until later this month.
On Thursday, a 31-year-old man and a 33-year-old woman were arrested in connection with thefts from the ATM machine at Barclays Bank in Station Road, Cuffley.
On Friday at 9pm, a 26-year-old man and 17-year-old boy were arrested outside the Barclays cash machine in London Road, Knebworth.
Police were unable to give details of the other three arrests.
WHAT HAPPENED AND WHERE
* Barclays Bank, Cole Green Lane in WGC.
On April 24 at 9pm, a man was approached by a white man, aged around 40, in a grey Ford Focus who asked if his card had been swallowed.
Later the bank informed the first man that �290 has been taken from his account.
Between 9pm and 9.30pm on May 13, a device designed to trap cards was discovered in the ATM machine.
* Barclays Bank, Church Street in Welwyn.
Three customers' cards were retained on April 28.
On May 9, a card was retained and used at the same cash machine to withdraw �150.
* Barclays Bank, in Station Road in Cuffley
A card was retained on April 27 and used in the same cash machine to withdraw �290. Two cards were later retained on April 29.
* Barclays Bank, Town Centre, Hatfield
A card was retained and cash stolen on May 12.
8 Barclays Bank, in Darkes Lane, Potters Bar.
A card was retained on May 11 and used in Potters Bar and Palmers Green to withdraw �710.