Electrical fault caused Welwyn pub blaze

THE huge blaze that partly destroyed a historic pub in Welwyn was caused by an electrical fault, firefighters believe. A spokeswoman for Herts Fire and Rescue announced today (Thursday) that the inferno at The Wellington pub and restaurant, in High Street, star

THE huge blaze that partly destroyed a historic pub in Welwyn was caused by an electrical fault, firefighters believe.

A spokeswoman for Herts Fire and Rescue announced today (Thursday) that the inferno at The Wellington pub and restaurant, in High Street, started in the loft.

She said: "We believe the fire at The Wellington pub was started accidentally by an electrical fault and started in the loft space in the oldest part of the building."

The historic 14th century building was badly gutted on Tuesday just after 4.15am.


You may also want to watch:


More than 50 firefighters tackled the blaze.

No-one was injured.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter