Clean up WGC’s Carol nominated for Welwyn Hatfield community awards
- Credit: Archant
A Welwyn Garden City woman has been nominated in the 2019 Welwyn Hatfield Times Community Awards for her work picking up rubbish.
Carol Hopkins hopes the nomination in the Service to the Community category will help raise awareness for the Clean Up WGC group.
The group, founded by Lloyd Harrison in October 2018, is run by Carol, Lloyd and Lisa Banks.
"We had all been doing litter picks previously," Carol said. "But it wasn't until late last year that we all joined forces. Doing so has given us great momentum and we hope that we can make a difference and help turn the tide on this problem."
Lloyd nominated Carol for her tireless enthusiasm when picking up litter in the Welwyn Garden City area.
You may also want to watch:
"We have worked together for the last four to five months and she is the one that keeps the passion going to make Welwyn Garde City a cleaner greener place," he told the Welwyn Hatfield Times.
"Her energy drives me forward to continue what we are doing at Clean Up WGC."
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 8 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
If you know another person who you feel deserves a 'Service to the Community' award, nominate them now visiting whtcommunityawards.co.uk/enter-online and filling out the online form.
Nominations are open for all categories in the Welwyn Hatfield Times Community Awards, which are an opportunity to recognise unsung heroes and celebrate the best of community spirit, personal achievements and inspirational stories.
Categories include Role Model of the Year, Parent in a Million, Valiant Volunteer, Carer of the Year, Lifetime Achievement, Service to the Community, Good Neighbour Award, School of the Year, Charity Champion and Young Achiever.
The deadline for nominations is 5pm on Friday, June 14 - so don't delay!
Remember to provide as much information as you can, as this will help the judges to assess all of the nominations.
Finalists for this year's awards will be invited to join the WHT for an evening of celebration at Oaklands College on the Welwyn Garden City campus on Friday, July 19.
Our awards are being held in association with the Howard Centre and sponsored by HRJ Foreman Laws, Oaklands College, B&M Care's, St Andrews Care Home, eatlunch and the Welwyn Hatfield Chamber of Commerce.
For more on the awards, and to nominate, visit whtcommunityawards.co.uk.