Clean up WGC’s Carol nominated for Welwyn Hatfield community awards
- Credit: Archant
A Welwyn Garden City woman has been nominated in the 2019 Welwyn Hatfield Times Community Awards for her work picking up rubbish.
Carol Hopkins hopes the nomination in the Service to the Community category will help raise awareness for the Clean Up WGC group.
The group, founded by Lloyd Harrison in October 2018, is run by Carol, Lloyd and Lisa Banks.
"We had all been doing litter picks previously," Carol said. "But it wasn't until late last year that we all joined forces. Doing so has given us great momentum and we hope that we can make a difference and help turn the tide on this problem."
Lloyd nominated Carol for her tireless enthusiasm when picking up litter in the Welwyn Garden City area.
You may also want to watch:
"We have worked together for the last four to five months and she is the one that keeps the passion going to make Welwyn Garde City a cleaner greener place," he told the Welwyn Hatfield Times.
"Her energy drives me forward to continue what we are doing at Clean Up WGC."
- 1 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 4 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 5 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 6 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 7 Tributes to 'fearless and magnificent' former Queenswood School pupil and Peaky Blinders star Helen McCrory
- 8 Fantastic florist and art gallery opens in Hatfield following lockdown easing
- 9 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 10 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
If you know another person who you feel deserves a 'Service to the Community' award, nominate them now visiting whtcommunityawards.co.uk/enter-online and filling out the online form.
Nominations are open for all categories in the Welwyn Hatfield Times Community Awards, which are an opportunity to recognise unsung heroes and celebrate the best of community spirit, personal achievements and inspirational stories.
Categories include Role Model of the Year, Parent in a Million, Valiant Volunteer, Carer of the Year, Lifetime Achievement, Service to the Community, Good Neighbour Award, School of the Year, Charity Champion and Young Achiever.
The deadline for nominations is 5pm on Friday, June 14 - so don't delay!
Remember to provide as much information as you can, as this will help the judges to assess all of the nominations.
Finalists for this year's awards will be invited to join the WHT for an evening of celebration at Oaklands College on the Welwyn Garden City campus on Friday, July 19.
Our awards are being held in association with the Howard Centre and sponsored by HRJ Foreman Laws, Oaklands College, B&M Care's, St Andrews Care Home, eatlunch and the Welwyn Hatfield Chamber of Commerce.
For more on the awards, and to nominate, visit whtcommunityawards.co.uk.