Welwyn Hatfield student set to become global horse disease expert
A STUDENT in Times Territory will join a select band of horse disease experts when she completes her latest course next year.
Laura Salonen will become a global authority on equine clinical epidemiology when she finishes the European College of Veterinary Public Health (ECVPH) diploma.
The 33-year-old, who is originally from Finland, has spent the past three years on a residency at the Royal Veterinary College in Brookmans Park, after receiving a bursary from a charity called The Horse Trust.
She will be awarded the diploma when she completes her final exams in 2011.
Laura said that studying equine epidemiology – the analysis of factors which affect health and cause illness in horses – had been a long-term ambition.
“I love horses and have always been interested in preventive medicine and research,” she said.
“Equine epidemiology combines all three interests.
- 1 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 2 First business moves into Hatfield's new £45m High View development
- 3 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Potters Bar school in top 10 of The Sunday Times Schools Guide 2022
- 6 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 8 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 9 From Russia with love... Catherine The Great series returns to Hatfield for season two of period drama
- 10 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
Laura, who is a qualified vet, added: “I always dreamed about doing research in epidemiology, so getting the Horse Trust scholarship fulfilled that dream.
“The scholarship is one of very few opportunities worldwide to do a residency in equine epidemiology and so I feel very lucky to have got it.
“Once I qualify, I will be one of only a handful of diplomate equine epidemiologists in Europe.”
After completing her diploma, Laura will be returning to Finland to start a PhD on the transmission of bacteria between pigs and humans.
For more information about The Horse Trust, click on the link, right