Welwyn Hatfield student set to become global horse disease expert
A STUDENT in Times Territory will join a select band of horse disease experts when she completes her latest course next year.
Laura Salonen will become a global authority on equine clinical epidemiology when she finishes the European College of Veterinary Public Health (ECVPH) diploma.
The 33-year-old, who is originally from Finland, has spent the past three years on a residency at the Royal Veterinary College in Brookmans Park, after receiving a bursary from a charity called The Horse Trust.
She will be awarded the diploma when she completes her final exams in 2011.
Laura said that studying equine epidemiology – the analysis of factors which affect health and cause illness in horses – had been a long-term ambition.
You may also want to watch:
“I love horses and have always been interested in preventive medicine and research,” she said.
“Equine epidemiology combines all three interests.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 3 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 6 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 7 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
Laura, who is a qualified vet, added: “I always dreamed about doing research in epidemiology, so getting the Horse Trust scholarship fulfilled that dream.
“The scholarship is one of very few opportunities worldwide to do a residency in equine epidemiology and so I feel very lucky to have got it.
“Once I qualify, I will be one of only a handful of diplomate equine epidemiologists in Europe.”
After completing her diploma, Laura will be returning to Finland to start a PhD on the transmission of bacteria between pigs and humans.
For more information about The Horse Trust, click on the link, right