Welwyn Hatfield student set to become global horse disease expert
A STUDENT in Times Territory will join a select band of horse disease experts when she completes her latest course next year.
Laura Salonen will become a global authority on equine clinical epidemiology when she finishes the European College of Veterinary Public Health (ECVPH) diploma.
The 33-year-old, who is originally from Finland, has spent the past three years on a residency at the Royal Veterinary College in Brookmans Park, after receiving a bursary from a charity called The Horse Trust.
She will be awarded the diploma when she completes her final exams in 2011.
Laura said that studying equine epidemiology – the analysis of factors which affect health and cause illness in horses – had been a long-term ambition.
You may also want to watch:
“I love horses and have always been interested in preventive medicine and research,” she said.
“Equine epidemiology combines all three interests.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn
Laura, who is a qualified vet, added: “I always dreamed about doing research in epidemiology, so getting the Horse Trust scholarship fulfilled that dream.
“The scholarship is one of very few opportunities worldwide to do a residency in equine epidemiology and so I feel very lucky to have got it.
“Once I qualify, I will be one of only a handful of diplomate equine epidemiologists in Europe.”
After completing her diploma, Laura will be returning to Finland to start a PhD on the transmission of bacteria between pigs and humans.
For more information about The Horse Trust, click on the link, right