Welwyn Hatfield schools soldier on through teachers’ strike
- Credit: Archant
Welwyn Hatfield schools have largely escaped serious disruption from today’s teachers’ strike, although one is open to the sixth-form only.
Despite a National Union of Teachers strike called “to protect pay and working conditions”, every Welwyn Hatfield secondary school is open as usual, except Chancellor’s in Brookmans Park, where only the older pupils will be taught today.
Monk’s Walk School in Welwyn Garden City has warned parents some classes may not have their usual teachers, some off-site activities may be cancelled, and private study may replace lessons for Year 12 pupils.
Mike Harpham, headteacher of Onslow St Audrey’s School in Hatfield, said: “It is business as usual. We have some teachers on strike, but we are pulling together. Another teacher or member of staff will cover for them.”
Adrian Dudley, deputy headteacher of Bishop’s Hatfield Girls’ School, said: “We are unaffected by the strike. The vast majority of lessons are continuing as usual.”
You may also want to watch:
The union’s acting general secretary Kevin Courtney has claimed teachers suffer from a “a workload crisis which is now completely out of hand”, and the education system could “fall apart at the seams”.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 3 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 6 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics