Welwyn Hatfield schools on the ball for the World Cup
WORLD Cup fever is coming this summer – but for youngsters in Welwyn Hatfield, it will be here sooner than that.
For 16 schools are taking part in a themed football tournament.
The event – being backed by the Welwyn Hatfield Times – takes place on Saturday, May 8 at the Herts Sports Village.
And our editor Terry Mitchinson and Wycombe Wanderers goalkeeper Steven Arnold, who’s from Welham Green, were on hand at the university venue on Wednesday to conduct the all-important draw.
The 16 schools have each been allocated a country to represent – covering some of the nations competing in South Africa.
You may also want to watch:
They’ve been drawn into four groups, and will play round-robin before the knockout stages.
You can find out who your school has been drawn against in this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times, out now.
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 3 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 4 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 8 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 9 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 10 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed