Welwyn Garden City students meet Olympic stars
BOXING champion Barry McGuigan inspired college students on a motivation day as part of National Apprenticeship Week.
Four girls from the Oaklands College Basketball Academy met the former world featherweight champ and current TV boxing commentator, as well as Olympic tae kwon do medallist Sarah Stevenson.
The students, who train at Gosling Sports Park in WGC, travelled to Lord’s cricket ground in London, to take part in a day of workshops and training sessions.
One of the students, Lizzy Harrison, said: “We started the day with a strength and conditioning session, which was held by an experienced coach who has worked with Rebecca Adlington [Olympic swimming gold medallist].
“During the session, we learnt some new stretches and valuable information on how to perform at a high level and prevent injury.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Barry McGuigan gave an inspirational speech and Olympic athletes such as Sarah Stevenson, who was a bronze medallist at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, helped us with goal setting.”
- 1 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 2 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 4 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 7 Travel blogger quarantined in Canada after returning home for funeral
- 8 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 9 Parents thank school for going 'above and beyond' to include children who had to shield for over a year
- 10 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses