Welwyn Garden City students meet Olympic stars
BOXING champion Barry McGuigan inspired college students on a motivation day as part of National Apprenticeship Week.
Four girls from the Oaklands College Basketball Academy met the former world featherweight champ and current TV boxing commentator, as well as Olympic tae kwon do medallist Sarah Stevenson.
The students, who train at Gosling Sports Park in WGC, travelled to Lord’s cricket ground in London, to take part in a day of workshops and training sessions.
One of the students, Lizzy Harrison, said: “We started the day with a strength and conditioning session, which was held by an experienced coach who has worked with Rebecca Adlington [Olympic swimming gold medallist].
“During the session, we learnt some new stretches and valuable information on how to perform at a high level and prevent injury.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Barry McGuigan gave an inspirational speech and Olympic athletes such as Sarah Stevenson, who was a bronze medallist at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, helped us with goal setting.”
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 3 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 4 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 7 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 8 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night