Welwyn Garden City students meet Olympic stars
BOXING champion Barry McGuigan inspired college students on a motivation day as part of National Apprenticeship Week.
Four girls from the Oaklands College Basketball Academy met the former world featherweight champ and current TV boxing commentator, as well as Olympic tae kwon do medallist Sarah Stevenson.
The students, who train at Gosling Sports Park in WGC, travelled to Lord’s cricket ground in London, to take part in a day of workshops and training sessions.
One of the students, Lizzy Harrison, said: “We started the day with a strength and conditioning session, which was held by an experienced coach who has worked with Rebecca Adlington [Olympic swimming gold medallist].
“During the session, we learnt some new stretches and valuable information on how to perform at a high level and prevent injury.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Barry McGuigan gave an inspirational speech and Olympic athletes such as Sarah Stevenson, who was a bronze medallist at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, helped us with goal setting.”
- 1 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 2 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 3 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 4 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 5 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 6 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 7 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 8 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 9 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 10 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?