Welwyn Garden City student gearing up for a bright future
A WELWYN Garden City student has been named runner-up in a prestigious motor industry competition.
Katie Jones, who studies at Leeds University, was a finalist in the 2011 Autocar Courland Next Generation Award, which aims to identify and develop top automative talent of the future.
The 21-year-old’s concept was Radiance, a colour and trim design innovation for the luxury car market, which will enable vehicles to delicately glow at low levels of luminosity.
Katie, of Broadleaf Grove, said the competition had been a “fantastic opportunity” to showcase her idea and meet some key people in the industry.
She said: “Even though I did not win the award overall, making it to the final three of a national competition has been a great achievement for me.
You may also want to watch:
“I have already had a number of approaches from different companies who are interested in me and my idea, with the possibility of developing my concept.”
From her initial entry, Katie was one of 12 candidates invited to attend an assessment day with senior industry executives.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 5 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 8 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 9 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 10 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
From there, six were chosen to take part in a Dragons’ Den-style presentation session, and a final three selected to attend a Society of Moter Manufacturers & Traders awards dinner.