Welwyn Garden City school’s own ‘Olympics’
WITH the London 2012 Olympics fast approaching one WGC school held its own Games-style day and even had a torch relay.
A specially-designed torch was paraded around from Gosling Sports Park to Stanborough School by pupils of the school’s six houses.
The torch was finally presented to headteacher Peter Brown, at 9am on July 10, when the mammoth two-day games began.
Sporting events included table tennis, tennis, rounders, football, and athletics.
After all the scores were totted up Sopwell was the winning house and pupils at the Lemsford Lane school sang the national anthem as the games were brought to a close.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant headteacher Barbara King said it was: “A truly great event that will be remembered by all students for a very long time to come.”
- 1 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 2 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk
- 6 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 7 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 8 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 9 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 10 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best