Welwyn Garden City school’s own ‘Olympics’
WITH the London 2012 Olympics fast approaching one WGC school held its own Games-style day and even had a torch relay.
A specially-designed torch was paraded around from Gosling Sports Park to Stanborough School by pupils of the school’s six houses.
The torch was finally presented to headteacher Peter Brown, at 9am on July 10, when the mammoth two-day games began.
Sporting events included table tennis, tennis, rounders, football, and athletics.
After all the scores were totted up Sopwell was the winning house and pupils at the Lemsford Lane school sang the national anthem as the games were brought to a close.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant headteacher Barbara King said it was: “A truly great event that will be remembered by all students for a very long time to come.”
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 10 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield