Welwyn Garden City school’s own ‘Olympics’
WITH the London 2012 Olympics fast approaching one WGC school held its own Games-style day and even had a torch relay.
A specially-designed torch was paraded around from Gosling Sports Park to Stanborough School by pupils of the school’s six houses.
The torch was finally presented to headteacher Peter Brown, at 9am on July 10, when the mammoth two-day games began.
Sporting events included table tennis, tennis, rounders, football, and athletics.
After all the scores were totted up Sopwell was the winning house and pupils at the Lemsford Lane school sang the national anthem as the games were brought to a close.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant headteacher Barbara King said it was: “A truly great event that will be remembered by all students for a very long time to come.”
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes