Welwyn Garden City school marks golden jubilee
CIRCUS tricks, a 60s themed school band and a time capsule buried under a playing field.
These were just three of the ways in which Harwood Hill School commemorated its 50th anniversary last week.
Pupils, parents and staff were treated to an activity-packed day that also included student presentations on the different decades the school has witnessed and the releasing of 50 golden balloons.
Former deputy head Tom Barker returned to the WGC nursery and primary school he had helped open in 1959 to mark the occasion.
Mr Barker, 86, who taught at Harwood Hill for 23 years, said: “It’s been lovely coming back and seeing some of the old pupils who now have children at the school.
You may also want to watch:
“I have often been stopped in the street by my former students but the difference now is some of them are starting to get grey hair like me!”
A time capsule containing a copy of the WHT, pupils’ comments about the school and their blue uniform was then submerged into the ground at the foot of a silver birch tree.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
Current headteacher Sue Cousins said: “The day has been organised and funded by the PTA to ensure it has a real community feel to it.
“It’s great that everyone can come together to celebrate the anniversary.”