Welwyn Garden City school marks 70 years
THE celebrations of 70 years at a WGC school are to take place with an open day.
After a schooling year in which Stanborough School students have been marking seven decades by raising funds to help restore the Lemsford Lane school’s clocktower and build a hi-tech weather station, the final event to celebrate Stanborough70 is for every former pupil.
Held on Saturday July 3, at 3pm, the summer celebration will be a chance to meet old friends and will feature an exhibition where an array of photographs, artefacts, pupil memories and documents will be displayed in the main hall.
To mark the occasion there will also be a commemorative home-made cake, a balloon race and a barbecue, as well as the official opening of the refurbished clocktower by MP Grant Shapps.
Headteacher Peter Brown said the school had raised around �17,000 during 2009/10 through events organised by the recently-formed Alumni Association and the pupils, including a quiz night and the creation of a calendar.
You may also want to watch:
Eric Walsby, vice-chairman of the board of governors, added: “We couldn’t really just celebrate on September 3 [the official anniversary] as it was the start of the new term, so we thought we would spread it out throughout the year.
“The students have been heavily involved and many classes, from history to geography, have been based around the 70 years of the school.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 3 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 4 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 5 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 6 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 7 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 8 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 9 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 10 Hatfield United up and running in Herts County League cup after defeat of Hertford Heath
If you are planning on attending the event contact the school, formerly known as WGC Grammar School, via 01707 321755 or log on to firstname.lastname@example.org