Welwyn Garden City school marks 70 years
THE celebrations of 70 years at a WGC school are to take place with an open day.
After a schooling year in which Stanborough School students have been marking seven decades by raising funds to help restore the Lemsford Lane school’s clocktower and build a hi-tech weather station, the final event to celebrate Stanborough70 is for every former pupil.
Held on Saturday July 3, at 3pm, the summer celebration will be a chance to meet old friends and will feature an exhibition where an array of photographs, artefacts, pupil memories and documents will be displayed in the main hall.
To mark the occasion there will also be a commemorative home-made cake, a balloon race and a barbecue, as well as the official opening of the refurbished clocktower by MP Grant Shapps.
Headteacher Peter Brown said the school had raised around �17,000 during 2009/10 through events organised by the recently-formed Alumni Association and the pupils, including a quiz night and the creation of a calendar.
You may also want to watch:
Eric Walsby, vice-chairman of the board of governors, added: “We couldn’t really just celebrate on September 3 [the official anniversary] as it was the start of the new term, so we thought we would spread it out throughout the year.
“The students have been heavily involved and many classes, from history to geography, have been based around the 70 years of the school.”
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
If you are planning on attending the event contact the school, formerly known as WGC Grammar School, via 01707 321755 or log on to email@example.com