Welwyn Garden City school field sold for housing
MORE than three acres of a school playing field has been sold, to make way for housing.
Contracts have been exchanged between Hertfordshire County Council and the property developer for an undisclosed sum for the land at Sir Frederic Osborn School in WGC.
The sale of 17 per cent of the Herns Lane school’s field to house builder Crest Nicholson will unlock cash for the School Incentive Scheme.
Headteacher Sue Lewis said: “We’re optimistic this project will now go ahead and provide the school and our local community with a much needed sports hall and all-weather pitch.
“As the hub site for the Welwyn Hatfield School Games Partnership we will ensure the facilities benefit all our partner schools.
You may also want to watch:
“The wider community will have access to the facilities in the evenings, at weekends and in the school holidays.”
Chair of governors, Tobit Roth, said: “Many people have worked a long time to achieve this project and it will be heartening to see it move into the next phase.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 4 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 7 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 8 Graduate to create original African sci-fi series for Disney+
- 9 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 10 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
“I look forward to the benefits this will bring to both the community and the school.”