Welwyn Garden City school field sold for housing
MORE than three acres of a school playing field has been sold, to make way for housing.
Contracts have been exchanged between Hertfordshire County Council and the property developer for an undisclosed sum for the land at Sir Frederic Osborn School in WGC.
The sale of 17 per cent of the Herns Lane school’s field to house builder Crest Nicholson will unlock cash for the School Incentive Scheme.
Headteacher Sue Lewis said: “We’re optimistic this project will now go ahead and provide the school and our local community with a much needed sports hall and all-weather pitch.
“As the hub site for the Welwyn Hatfield School Games Partnership we will ensure the facilities benefit all our partner schools.
You may also want to watch:
“The wider community will have access to the facilities in the evenings, at weekends and in the school holidays.”
Chair of governors, Tobit Roth, said: “Many people have worked a long time to achieve this project and it will be heartening to see it move into the next phase.
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 6 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 7 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 8 Volunteering is the name of the game at Panshanger Park
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
“I look forward to the benefits this will bring to both the community and the school.”