Welwyn Garden City school engineers victory in national robotics competition
- Credit: Archant
A Welwyn Garden City school’s robotics team soared to victory in a national tournament.
Stanborough School’s ‘Shark Robotics’ team engineered its way to glory in the season finale UK National Championships.
The competition was made up of 40 teams, including winners from the 18 regional events, and required entrants to develop a robot to complete a specific task.
Robots would be pitted against each other, and had to move stars and cubes from one side of a net to the other.
After navigating the group stages, Stanborough – seeded two – faced the competition favourites in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sahbi Benzid, curriculum leader for IT and computing, said: “The atmosphere was electric.
“The final was nail biting, to say the least, as our team had the UK Championship title in their sights.
- 1 Man creates penis shapes with his running routes to raise money for testicular cancer
- 2 Police called after 100 people show up to funeral
- 3 Herts zoo announces its reopening date
- 4 Second tree-umph as borough named ‘Tree City of the World’ again
- 5 Man arrested and suspected crack and heroin seized
- 6 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 7 Residents’ food waste has so far powered 62 homes for a year
- 8 From phone to laptop – a loan goes a long way to help children with homeschooling
- 9 Take a first look at the new Ebenezer Howard statue coming to our town
- 10 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
“They went on to win the final comfortably, 2-0 in matches.
“All their effort and hard work paid off! [There were] unbelievable scenes at the end of the match.”
He added: “This achievement was exceptional, they were complimented by the judging panel at the National Championships for outstanding professionalism, innovation, and attention to detail.”
Stanborough has now qualified for the World Robotics Championships, which take place between April 19 and 22 in Kentucky, USA.
However, the team is seeking sponsors to help fund the trip. If interested, email email@example.com or call 01707 321755.