Welwyn Garden City school engineers victory in national robotics competition
- Credit: Archant
A Welwyn Garden City school’s robotics team soared to victory in a national tournament.
Stanborough School’s ‘Shark Robotics’ team engineered its way to glory in the season finale UK National Championships.
The competition was made up of 40 teams, including winners from the 18 regional events, and required entrants to develop a robot to complete a specific task.
Robots would be pitted against each other, and had to move stars and cubes from one side of a net to the other.
After navigating the group stages, Stanborough – seeded two – faced the competition favourites in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sahbi Benzid, curriculum leader for IT and computing, said: “The atmosphere was electric.
“The final was nail biting, to say the least, as our team had the UK Championship title in their sights.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 4 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 5 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
“They went on to win the final comfortably, 2-0 in matches.
“All their effort and hard work paid off! [There were] unbelievable scenes at the end of the match.”
He added: “This achievement was exceptional, they were complimented by the judging panel at the National Championships for outstanding professionalism, innovation, and attention to detail.”
Stanborough has now qualified for the World Robotics Championships, which take place between April 19 and 22 in Kentucky, USA.
However, the team is seeking sponsors to help fund the trip. If interested, email email@example.com or call 01707 321755.