Welwyn Garden City’s little Bruce Lee wannabees
A GROUP of WGC students got to grips with the basic principles of karate thanks to a specialist training school.
A karate taster course was held at Monk’s Walk School in Knightsfield for youngsters interested in learning more about the ancient Japanese martial art.
Led by Wendy Hazelwood and Amandeep Ruprai from the Active Hertfordshire Karate Group, the six-week course culminated in the 18 participants receiving their introductory diplomas from senior instructor Roy Hazelwood.
Year nine student Lucy Markwick said: “It was good fun and gave me an opportunity to learn something we wouldn’t normally do at school.”
Joe Bonfield, also in year nine, added: “As well as improving my technique I have learnt a lot about the virtues of karate.”
Monk’s Walk assistant head Jon Dunning, who organised the taster course, said: “It has been a great experience for all concerned. The students have showed a lot of commitment and really impressed the instructors from the outset.
“I am sure as a result of this course some will definitely take up karate on a regular basis.”
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 3 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 4 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 5 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Fifteen-year-old boy hospitalised after reported stabbing in Hatfield
- 9 Cuffley home care company recognised among best in east of England
- 10 Local man will be flying high in an effort to raise much needed funds for Potential Kids
The Active Hertfordshire Karate Group is running a beginners’ karate course every Saturday of the summer holidays at Gosling Sports Park in WGC.
Call Wendy or Roy Hazelwood on 01462 630833 or 07792 291657 for more information.