Welwyn Garden City’s little Bruce Lee wannabees
A GROUP of WGC students got to grips with the basic principles of karate thanks to a specialist training school.
A karate taster course was held at Monk’s Walk School in Knightsfield for youngsters interested in learning more about the ancient Japanese martial art.
Led by Wendy Hazelwood and Amandeep Ruprai from the Active Hertfordshire Karate Group, the six-week course culminated in the 18 participants receiving their introductory diplomas from senior instructor Roy Hazelwood.
Year nine student Lucy Markwick said: “It was good fun and gave me an opportunity to learn something we wouldn’t normally do at school.”
Joe Bonfield, also in year nine, added: “As well as improving my technique I have learnt a lot about the virtues of karate.”
You may also want to watch:
Monk’s Walk assistant head Jon Dunning, who organised the taster course, said: “It has been a great experience for all concerned. The students have showed a lot of commitment and really impressed the instructors from the outset.
“I am sure as a result of this course some will definitely take up karate on a regular basis.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 3 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 4 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 5 Fantastic florist and art gallery opens in Hatfield following lockdown easing
- 6 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 7 School donates textbooks to help communities in Kenya
- 8 Tributes to 'fearless and magnificent' former Queenswood School pupil and Peaky Blinders star Helen McCrory
- 9 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 10 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
The Active Hertfordshire Karate Group is running a beginners’ karate course every Saturday of the summer holidays at Gosling Sports Park in WGC.
Call Wendy or Roy Hazelwood on 01462 630833 or 07792 291657 for more information.