Blast from the past! Former Welwyn Garden City pupils reunite
- Credit: Archant
Former Welwyn Garden City pupils came together for a reunion after not having seen each other for as long as 60 years.
It took months of detective work by Helen Chaston and Clive Dick, who used the internet and phonebook, to track down some old faces from Welwyn Garden City Grammar School (now Stanborough School).
The former pupils of the class of 1951 then met at The Sun in Lemsford, where they caught up on many years’ worth of news and shared old memories.
Helen told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “Staff at The Sun were excellent hosts.
“Our furthest traveller was Lloyd Rowcroft (formerly King).
You may also want to watch:
“He came from southernmost Spain.
“Most of us hadn’t seen each other for 60 years!
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 3 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 6 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 7 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 8 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 9 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 10 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
“But we had a very relaxed meeting and hopefully will do it again in the near future.”
Clive, who now lives in Dorset, and Helen, who now lives in Essex, were the organisers of the reunion.
Helen, who was better known by her middle name Jean, said: “Girls were hard to track down as most, if not all, have changed surnames.
“As to how it felt seeing everyone, it was like 60 years hadn’t intervened.
“Some faces were easily recognisable.
“We all chatted away as if we’d met up last week and are definitely going to meet again.
“I was very happy at the school even though I was often on report mainly for talking too much and I hated school holidays.
“I couldn’t wait for term to begin.”
The picture shows from left to right: John Preston, Lloyd Rowcroft (formerly King), Clive Dick, Sue Mendum (now Horner), Carol Duran (now Hudson), Yvonne Richards (now Baker), Jean Stewart (now Helen Chaston).
Front row: Denise Hammel (now Dick) and Jill McKie (now Rhodes).
Helen added: “We’re hoping to jog a few memories and find a few more golden oldies.
“So if you read this and were in our class with Dennis Heft our form master, please e-mail either me at Hel.firstname.lastname@example.org or Clive at email@example.com”
•If you have memories or old pictures you would like to share with the Welwyn Hatfield Times, email firstname.lastname@example.org