Welwyn Garden City charity launches to solve empty homes crisis
ALMOST one million homes in the UK are currently sitting empty.
A staggering fact considering how many people are currently searching for accommodation in one form or another.
A charitable initiative being launched in WGC this weekend is looking towards putting an end to this though.
Entrepreneurs Nigel Hamblett, from Oaklands, and Miranda Leslau, in conjunction with social entrepreneur and patron, Kevin Green (as seen on Channel 4’s The Secret Millionaire) and Tigrent Learning UK have set up The Safe House.
The group will be working with local councils, housing associations and the private sector, regarding the possibility of taking ownership of and refurbishing even a small percentage of the unoccupied houses.
You may also want to watch:
The Safe House will also be focusing on teaching youngsters basic financial education, as they believe this and learning how to realise dreams, form part of the foundations of future British entrepreneurial success stories.
The Safe House’s pilot programme – inspiring and focusing young people to pursue their dreams – will be trialled at Space, on Church Road, at 10am to 3pm this Saturday.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 5 Charity's face mask exempt cards sold at an inflated price on Facebook
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Head of planning to leave for county council role
- 9 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 10 Welwyn Hatfield's links to new Disney+ series WandaVision
Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, said: “It is an incredibly exciting project for future British entrepreneurs, to create a better understanding of basic financial principles as well as the definition of ‘wealth’ rather than ‘debt’ management.”
The shadow housing minister added: “The empty housing initiative is sure to make a difference to needy communities throughout the UK, and I wish them every success over the coming months.”
The interactive workshop is for Space members only and includes lunch.
For more information visit www.thesafehouse.org.uk