University of Hertfordshire ‘safest in East of England’
- Credit: Archant
THE University of Hertfordshire has the lowest crime rate of any university in the east of England, according to new statistics.
According to police data taken from May 2012 to April 2013 and compiled by the Complete University Guide – an independent organisation – University of Hertfordshire had the least crimes committed in and around its campus of more than 100 universities.
The data correlated crime and population for wards falling within three miles of the university and looked at burglary, robbery and assault.
It is estimated that one-third of students become victims of crime, mainly theft and burglary, and about 20 per cent of student robberies occur in the first six weeks of the academic year.
Ross Renton, dean of students at the University of Hertfordshire, said: “The university is proud of the highly productive partnership we have with the Hertfordshire Constabulary and the Welwyn Hatfield Community Safety Partnership.”
You may also want to watch:
Safer Neighbourhood Inspector for Welwyn Hatfield, Ian Grout, said: “I am delighted that this year’s figures show that the university remains one of the safest in the country.
“The dedicated university policing team, consisting of a PC and two PCSOs, work incredibly hard with the university to ensure all students are able to live and study in a safe environment and these figures are a testament to their dedication and the close working relationship.
- 1 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 5 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 6 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 7 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 8 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
- 9 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 10 How did our town centres hold up under pressure last year?
“With the new term approaching, work has already begun to ensure the next intake of new students are able to settle in to university life safely, armed with essential crime prevention advice.”