University of Hertfordshire governor on New Year Honours list
A WOMAN, who is the chairman of the board of governors at the University of Hertfordshire and a trustee of the Hatfield-based Hertfordshire Community Foundation, has been recognised in the New Year Honours List.
Jo Connell, who is also pro-chancellor at the Hatfield uni, has received an OBE for her services to older people through her work as a trustee of Help the Aged before it merged with Age Concern in 2009 to become Age UK – something she was key in facilitating.
Mrs Connell joined the board of governors at the university in 2001 and became chairman in 2007.
As the university’s executive governing body, the board is responsible for finance, property and staffing. It also determines the university’s educational character and mission, as well as its strategic direction.
The Hemel Hempstead resident, who is also chairman of Ofcom’s Advisory Committee for Older and Disabled People, said: “I am thrilled to receive this honour, but I feel it is really a reflection of all the hard work put in by the team at Help the Aged and now Age UK.”
You may also want to watch:
Philip Waters, secretary and registrar at the university, said: “This is a fantastic and well deserved honour. I send my warmest congratulations on behalf of the university.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 3 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 4 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
- 5 Bargains for shoppers at exclusive Hatfield Galleria VIP event
- 6 Hertsmere: 6,000 home development included in Local Plan
- 7 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 10 Remembering the life of daring test pilot Geoffrey de Havilland Jr - 75 years on from his tragic death